Durham, NC 27709
Salary: $50,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist will perform molecular-based assays to support the diagnosis of newborn and pediatric genetic disorders.
Duties and responsibilities
· Isolate, quantify and assess quality of nucleic acids
· Perform high complexity molecular techniques, including PCR and NGS
· Perform biochemical assays (immunoassays and enzymatic assays on microtiter plate and microfluidic devices).
· Utilize Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) for patient sample tracking
· Follow the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
· Participate in development, validation and performance of new assays.
· Train new staff and assist in preparation for lab inspections, as requested.
· Assist with inventory management to maintain adequate supplies for patient testing.
· Perform instrument calibrations and routine maintenance.
· Troubleshoot and document corrective actions following established procedures and in coordination with laboratory supervisors and directors.
· Maintain compliance with CLIA, HIPAA, company policies, and other regulations.
· Bachelor or Master’s degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics or similar life science with at least 2 years of experience performing high complexity testing, including next-generation sequencing
· ASCP certification (or eligible) preferred
Required Skills, abilities, characteristics:
· Must have direct experience with advanced molecular techniques including genomic DNA isolation, next-generation sequencing library production, hybrid capture and/or amplicon target enrichment, and Illumina sequencer operation.
· Experience with clinical diagnostics, CLIA/CAP/GLP/ISO, lean processes such as 5S, regulatory documentation, automation, bioinformatics, and/or variant analysis preferred.
· Willingness to work with human specimens in a regulated BSL-2 laboratory environment.
· Dedicated individual with strong communication skills able to work independently and in a team environment.
· A proven track record to efficiently and accurately deliver results for project deadlines and testing turnaround times.
· 1st shift Sunday through Thursday.
- This position is very active and requires regular standing, walking, reaching, and sitting.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision to detect color-changes in testing and labeling, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.